Saturday, July 14, 2012

Yogurty Aubergines with Perfect Rice

Raf is really good at cooking rice. And eating it. It is, in fact, one of his favourite things. Which means that when ever I cook it for him, I bodge it up. It's the pressure. And when ever he's out, I make perfect individual grains of basmati fit for a king. Tonight is just such a night. I've made a delicious aubergine and yogurt dish to go with it, which comes from one of my favourite cookbooks, Madhur Jaffrey's Ultimate Curry Bible. I recommend you buy the book and give the aubergines on page 165 a try. The mint here is a must - and perfectly accompanies the sweet onions and super-soft turmeric laced aubergines.

As for my perfect basmati rice, the best method is as follows: 1 cup of rice feeds 2 people. Place the rice in a smallish pan. Cover with 1 1/2 cups (the same size cup) of water and add a generous pinch of salt. Heat on a lively flame so that it reaches the boil. Continue to simmer until the water has visibly disappeared and the tunnels of steam and remaining water are nearly empty. Reduce the heat to its lowest possible, cover the pan with a lid or plate and let it continue to steam for 5 minutes. Now turn off the heat all together, leaving the pan covered and let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Fluff up with a fork (never a spoon and never a silver one) and serve just like that. It should be light, with individual grains. Easy. 

1 comment:

  1. Given the choice, if I HAD to make the decision, I would come back as a aubergine. An aubergine named Bert. I'd drink tea all day and give sage advice to various varieties of fruit & veg.
    ...and I'd wear a monocle.

    Loving you foodie ramblings by the way..Framblings.

    ReplyDelete