Saturday, July 27, 2013

LEFT TO MY OWN LEMON CURD DEVICES




































My husband has gone away for the weekend. And he's taken the baby! I haven't been alone for ten months. Not really. Not without Billy. So this morning, having bid them farewell, I slunk back to bed to watch the last episode of Luther on the iplayer, lolled around in my pyjamas, oiled all the worktops and finally headed out with my shopping trolley. With the world (well, Peckham) as my oyster, I headed for Franks Cafe and had a shandy and some mackerel escabeche. It was delicious, uninterrupted and very sunny. I cruised into Charlie's at Flock and Herd for a piece of gammon and headed home with the ambition of some focussed recipe testing. The pavlova base is cooling in the oven and here's the lemon curd recipe to accompany these little snaps.

LEMON CURD

Makes 400ml

4 lemons, zest and juice
200g caster sugar
100g unsalted butter, diced
4 egg yolks
1 egg


Place the zest, juice, sugar and butter in a small mixing bowl over a baine marie. Heat slowly until all these ingredients are combined. Now briskly whisk in the eggs. Keep on the heat, whisking from time to time until thick like custard. Cool a little and then pour into sterilized jars. 

Pretty easy, right?



1 comment:

  1. I love your blog. So nice to have a new post up, your lemon curd looks to die for.

    ReplyDelete